Washington County Durham

HOME     WHAT'S WHERE

Memories of  Washington

The Brook that changed a Road Name


 

THE BROOK THROUGH WASHINGTON VILLAGE

SPRINGWELL to RIVER WEAR,
via THE SPOUT.

Originally written by Hutchinson for his,
'History of Durham', Volume II.

Faithfully reproduced by Frederick Hill for his 1929 local history book,
'History of Washington Parish Church', Part 1.
( Northumberland Press, 1929. )

N.B. The 'Old Church' was later replaced by Holy Trinity.

[ Thanks to Keith Cockerill for supplying the above extract from his personal copy of Frederick Hill's book. ]

 


Mr Hill in Holy Trinity Church
( Audrey Fletcher's washingtonlass.com )


Headmaster Frederick Hill
(1885 - 1955)

[ More on Mr Hill at: What's Where; People; Hill, Frederick. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

FACING THE SPOUT


The Workmen's Social Club

QUOTATION From PAGE 20, above.
"It ran from Springwell, through Washington 'F' Pit yard, through the fields to the 'Spout'
(opposite the Workmen's Social Club), hence the name Spout Lane."

•   •   ◊   •   •

NEW ROAD BECAME SPOUT LANE


Formerly, New Road.   Now, Spout Lane.   This Road Sign is still above the Red Arrow.

•   •   ◊   •   •

A BUSY SPOUT LANE


Washington & District Workingmen's Social Club
( Known to the locals as 'The Middle Club'. )