Memories of Washington
Then & Now - Miscellaneous Collection (3 of 6)
- Black Bush Inn
- Glebe Crescent - Gravel Pit
- Washington St. Rd - Wear Terr.
- Wash. St. Rd - Bell's
- Wash. St. Rd - Barmston Close
Black Bush Inn - Village Lane
RICHARD COLE - LICENSED RETAILER OF - Wines, Ales & Porter
[ Shorter OED: Porter - a dark-brown bitter beer brewed from malt partly charred or browned by drying at a high temperature. ]
Many years later, the Black Bush Inn is still part of a terrace.
The now 'detached' Black Bush Inn on Village Lane. Note Washington Glebe Colliery in the background.
[ Photo: J.G. 14th Dec 2016 ]
Holy Trinity bell tower: left horizon.
Black Bush Inn: off-picture, right.
Regulars at the Black Bush Inn
Lots of old pub pictures at: Pub Crawl
Glebe Crescent - The Old Gravel Pit
Left to Washington Station Road - Glebe Crescent Road is between the men and the farm buildings - Right to Village Green
[ By kind permission of Beamish Museum Resource Centre ]
Note the incongruously positioned detached house in Glebe Crescent semis - that's where the above farmhouse once stood.
[ Satellite view from Google Earth ]
Washington Village & Glebe Crescent
[ Taken from the Key Locations Map: 1951 - see Home Page Sidebar ]
Looking south towards Washington Station Road.
On the north corner: Snowdon's Farm & Glebe Mount.
Washington Glebe Colliery Disaster - The Funeral Procession (1908)
Glen Terrace • ◊ • The Funeral Cortège passing along Washington Station Road (1908) • ◊ • Wear Terrace
107 years later. The former Methodist Church entrance (left) has been replaced.
[ Photo: J.G. 8th June 2015 ]
Robinson Terrace & Former Methodist Church Building
[ 8th June 2015 ]
Robinson Terrace & Methodist Church
Compare the entrance pillars with the 1908 (top) picture.
Bell's of Washington Station Road / St. Cuthbert's Mission Hall
Walter Willson's Groceries - The Celtic Club - Washington Station Rd - Bell's Family Butchers - Saint Cuthbert's Mission
Washington Station Rd has been bisected by Northumberland Way (A195).
[ Photo: J.G. 30th Dec 2016 ]
Washington Station Road
[ 1951 ]
Northumberland Way cutting across Station Road
[ 2000 ]
Orders Delivered Daily
A. Bell - Family Butcher
First recorded in 1883 as a Family Butcher with premises at Washington Staithes, Bell's relocated to Station Road in 1893.
Now T & I Bell (Caterers), it's Washington's oldest family-run business.
Washington Station Road / Barmston Close
Barmston Close: on the left. Saint Cuthbert's Mission: straight ahead Washington Station Post Office: on the right.
[ Large Sign: Washington Station Post Office. Small Sign: Post Office etc. ]
From Under The Old Railway Bridge
[ Photo: J.G. 17th July 2017 ]
This photograph was taken from close to the Leamside Line Railway Bridge. Washington Station is just along that dirt track.
BETWEEN THEN & NOW
Washington Chemical Works Office Block, opposite Barmston Close.
From The Old Railway Bridge
[ Photo: J.G. 17th July 2017 ]
Between THEN & NOW
The Post Office most of us remember.
From the other end: The Old Railway Bridge