Washington County Durham

HOME     WHAT'S WHERE     PREVIOUS     NEXT

Memories of  Washington

Then & Now Collection  ( 7/8 )


Cox Green Footbridge

Then Press Cutting
SUNDERLAND ECHO PRESS CUTTING
(Saturday, May 10, 1958)

•   •   ◊   •   •

Then Picture
THEN 1
(Industrial)

L/R: Valerie Cook, Ann Thompson & Ann's baby sister, Janice.   Victoria Viaduct is upstream to the left.
Blast Row is above the bridge and the Chemical Works spoil heap is above the white house.

•   •   ◊   •   •

Now Picture
NOW
(Idyllic)

[ Photo: J.G. 3rd September 2017 ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Chemical Works 1
THEN 2
Looking downstream from the south bank of the River Wear.

•   •   ◊   •   •

Then Picture
THEN 3
(Book Extract)

A Sunderland Historian's view of the River Wear and the Village of Cox Green in 1891.
This contrasts starkly with the view expressed in the much earlier song.
Without the copperas and the Chemical Works waste,
Cox Green is once again 'a bonny place'.

[ Book extract from Keith Cockerill.  Photo supplied by Sunderland Antiquarian Society to Sunderland Echo. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Gassy Gutter Outlet - Now
THE 'GASSY GUTTER' OUTLET
Located in the wall of the Staith that was originally used to transfer coal from Urpeth Colliery into Keel Boats.

The 'Gassy Gutter' outlet can be seen in pictures 'THEN 2', above  and  'THEN 4', below.

[ Information & Photograph contributed by Keith Cockerill, 10th October 2018. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Chemical Works 1
THEN 4
View from the high ground, south of Cox Green village.

•   •   ◊   •   •

Seawater Return Outlet - Now
THE 'SEAWATER EFFLUENT' OUTLET
Located just downstream from the 'Gassy Gutter' outlet.

The route of the 'Seawater Effluent' to the River Wear can be seen in picture 'THEN 4', just above the houses.

From 1940 to 1970, seawater was pumped 8.5 miles, from Sunderland South Docks, crossing the Queen Alexandra Bridge,
to Washington Chemical Works where magnesia was extracted for various manufacturing purposes.
The remaining liquid was dumped into the River Wear!

[ Photograph posted in accordance with Mr Brown's on-line copyright instructions.  Thanks also to Keith, local resident Howard, and the Sunderland Echo. ]

 

Royal William Public House

... in Coxgreen Village.

Then Picture
THEN
The Royal William was situated on the south bank of the River Wear, at the western end of Coxgreen Village.

[ Photo supplied by Keith Cockerill ]

 

Now Picture
NOW
A Private Residence

[ Photographer: Keith Cockerill ]

 

Between Then & Now Picture
Between THEN & NOW
The private residence on the left is the former Royal William public house at Coxgreen.
The young ladies are a couple of minutes walk from the Oddfellows Arms.
The Earl of Durham is on the right.   Note the paddle steamer.
Alice Well is just behind the lady with the pushchair.

[ Photo posted by Christine Scott ]

 

Worm Hill Terrace

Worm Hill Terrace
THEN
Worm Hill Terrace leading down to Fatfield Bridge.   Worm Hill on the right-hand side.

 

Now Picture
NOW
More horsepower, lots of satellite dishes and one significant change which occurred in the 1940s.
The metal railings were removed to assist the war effort - ostensibly to make weapons!

[ Photo: J.G. 10th Nov 2017 ]

 

Fatfield Bridge
THEN
Worm Hill, Biddick Inn & Fatfield Bridge

[ Pre-1922.  No Memorial on Worm Hill! ]

Fatfield Bridge
THEN
Fatfield Bridge & Worm Hill Terrace

[ 1915 ]

 

View from Worm Hill
THEN
Bottom of Worm Hill Terrace as seen from Worm Hill

[ Note North Biddick Colliery Pit Heap. ]

 

Biddick Inn

... looking upstream from the north-side of Fatfield Bridge.

Biddick Inn - Then.
THEN
Biddick Inn at the entrance to Bonemill Lane

 

Now Picture
NOW
The Taxi Office and Harraton War Memorial are the only structures standing between Biddick Inn and the Old Co-op Building.

[ Photo: J.G. 5th April 2017 ]

 

Biddick Inn - Then.
THEN
Harraton miner William Hughes passing a snowy Biddick Inn.

 

Fatfield Bridge & Biddick Inn
THEN
Biddick Inn, Worm Hill & Fatfield Bridge

( View from south of the river. )

Fatfield Bridge & Biddick Inn
THEN
Biddick Inn, Fatfield Bridge & Gem Cinema, seen from Worm Hill.

( The Gem is just above Fatfield Bridge. )

 

Lots of old pub pictures at:  Pub Crawl

 

Junction:  Bonemill Lane / Biddick Lane

... looking North-West.

Then Picture
THEN
Harraton Community Centre - formerly Harraton Miners' Welfare Hall.   Saint George's Church.   Fatfield School.
Bonemill Lane passes the old school buildings before curving left towards Harraton Colliery.

 

Now Picture
NOW
Bonemill Lane curves left immediately after Biddick Lane and goes under the Washington Highway.
Note the parked cars on the old route, where houses have replaced Fatfield School.
The spire of Saint George's Church is just visible above the trees.

[ Photo: J.G. 18th Oct 2017 ]

 

Then 2
Then 2
Bonemill Lane & Biddick Lane

Then 3
Then 3
St. George's Church - Harraton Wagonway - Fatfield School

 

Map
Bonemill Lane / Biddick Lane Junction
[ OS Map: 1888 - 1913 ]

Overhead View
The new route of Bonemill Lane: south of Saint George's Church to Harraton Community Centre.
Part of the old route: the cul-de-sac, in the trees, below Saint George's churchyard.

[ Thanks to Google Earth ]